Chow Chow is a popular spicy addition to any Trinbagonian's Christmas table.
Want to wow your family this Christmas with a chow chow recipe of your own? Try our ‘ultimate chow chow’ recipe below to heat things up this Christmas.
Ingredients for your Chow Chow
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mangoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno (seeded)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup mixed sweet peppers (red, green, bell, etc)
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 cup chopped paw paw
- 2 tbsp flour
You May Also Be Interested In This Article: 4 Sugar Conscious Twists To Your Christmas Favourites
This recipe will leave them coming back for seconds…and thirds…
- Mix together cornstarch and water in a separate bowl.
- Mix mustard, Dijon mustard, flour and ½ cup of vinegar to mixture to a smooth paste in a separate bowl
- Add remaining white vinegar to the preheated pot.
- Gradually stir in garlic powder, kosher salt, sugar and mustard mixture. Stir briskly until a smooth liquid results.
- Gradually add jalapeño pepper and stir to a boil.
- Stir in chopped onions, carrots and turmeric till ingredients are soft. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Gradually add mangoes, sweet peppers, and paw paw until ingredients are tender. Let boil to simmer for 45mins-1 hr.
- Add cornstarch mixture to chow chow mixture to thicken.